Tuesday 31 January 2012

Song of the month (I)

Hi guys!

I am over excited to introduce this new blog post series. Music is one of my life pillars, so I want it to be one of the pillars of my blog too.

My head is full of key songs I have one or more for almost any feeling, any sensation, any thought. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad, for songs may bring you back all kinds of memories. It may be the music, it may be the lyrics, but hardly anyone can escape the curse.

In the Song of the month series, I aim to post a song on the last day of every month. It may evoke me or remind me of something, it may reflect what that month has been like to me, or it may just represent any topic that comes to mind. It just has to be meaningful to me.

So there we go!

This month’s song is (Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding.

I must confess that, in this case, it will not be the song of the month but the song of the year, or even of the last couple of years. Spare me my life, this will be an exception!

To me, these two years have been two long years full of ups and downs, hard work and fighting for happiness. Well, what was I expecting? It has surely been like starting over again in a new country, and that is why I identify so much with this month’s song.

Like Otis Redding, I left my home in Georgia and have been sittin' on the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away. There have been many moments where I thought I was wastin' time indeed. It seemed that my efforts were not paying off even if I was giving my all. I was just sitting [t]here watching the wheels go round and round, like John Lennon would sing. But I did not like to watch them roll at all. Everybody was moving around me and I was standing still in the middle.

Now I have promised to myself that I will never waste my time again and have made Tempus Fugit my motto.

Enjoy the song!
 



(SITTIN' ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY
(written by Otis Redding and Steve Cropper)
 
Sittin' in the mornin' sun
I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come
Watching the ships roll in
And then I watch 'em roll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

I left my home in Georgia
Headed for the 'Frisco bay
'Cause I've had nothing to live for
And look like nothin's gonna come my way

So I'm just gonna sit on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

Look like nothing's gonna change
Everything still remains the same
I can't do what ten people tell me to do
So I guess I'll remain the same, yes

Sittin' here resting my bones
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's two thousand miles I roamed
Just to make this dock my home

Now, I'm just gonna sit at the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Oooo-wee, sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time 

No comments:

Post a Comment