Saturday 31 March 2012

Song of the month (III)

In this new Song of the month post I wanted to pay tribute to Mutineers after my recent interview with their front man by picking up one of their fantastic songs.

When I started this blog post series a couple of months ago I already explained that, for a song to be featured, it had to have some meaning to me and, if possible, reflect what had been going on in my life during that month. Well, the main reason why I am choosing a Mutineers song is because, thanks to the interview, I could see what it feels like to dip my toe in music journalism, something that has always fascinated me, since it combines two of my passions music and the written word.

Nonetheless important is that I had the privilege to ask an incredibly good songwriter some questions about his lyrics, which is something you cannot do every day!

I could have easily picked up any of their tracks, as they are all great indeed, but there is even more than that to the Song of the month series!

I chose My Words Desert You by Mutineers because it has a really beautiful melody (it is in fact one of my favourite tracks of their album Friends, Lovers, Rivals) and, more importantly, because it incidentally reveals some of the feelings I have had recently. Of course, song lyrics are open to different interpretations as much as poetry or literature as a whole (Is that not the charm of language?), but all I can say is that, on this occasion, Nicholas James Mallins's words nail it for me in almost every single verse.


 MY WORDS DESERT YOU
(written by Nicholas James Mallins)

I saw your face in a photograph
Seems forever since I saw you laugh
Read a story in a magazine
Didn’t help these insecurities

And when I try to talk to you
Seem to get nothing through
Hearts collide in the ashes of our time
Please don’t take me home tonight

My words desert you, they seem to blow away
They just confuse you
Not give it all away
Around and around and around we run
We don’t know our course
When it’s time to break your fall, my words desert you

Between the static of the TV screens
Above the panic of society
We kissed the way that only lovers could
I’m not the first to be misunderstood

When I try to let you know
Where do good intentions go?
And all along I thought you’d know
You can’t confide in me
Another promise that I won’t believe
Please don’t take me home tonight

My words desert you, they seem to blow away
They just confuse you
Not give it all away
Around and around and around we run
We don’t know our course
When it’s time to break your fall, my words desert you

No comments:

Post a Comment